After propping up the minority Liberals for two successive budgets, the NDP finally pulled the plug on Ontario’s scandal plagued government.
In her official press release, NDP leader Andrea Horwath cited the long litany of scandals and the general loss of confidence of Ontarians in their government as the final cause of her non-confidence move:
Andrea Horwath, Leader of Ontario’s New Democrats, says she has lost confidence in the Liberal government amid mounting scandal and waste and that it’s time for change. “The Liberal budget is a mad dash to escape scandal by promising the moon and the stars,” said Horwath.
Horwath also cited the government’s failure to follow through with the implementation of commitments from last year’s budget, noting in particular the failure to create the promised Financial Accountability Office which would have provided more oversight over government spending.
The NDP’s non-confidence announcement prompted premier Kathleen Wynne to immediately call a provincial election for June 12, thereby avoiding an inevitable non-confidence vote in the legislature.
The official opposition PCs, who had already announced their intention to vote against the budget, issued a press release just prior to the government’s collapse that called on the government to preserve all records relating to the costly and controversial power plant cancellation decision. The alleged destruction of records relating to the power plant cancellation was the last chapter in the long line of spending scandals that ultimately led to the government’s collapse.